Sportingbet is one of the few popular bookies in South Africa that can be regarded as offering value for money in the sports betting industry. They have been in the business since 1997, and therefore bring in loads of experience in providing sports booking services. Of course, the bookie is legally registered with the Western Cape Racing and Gambling board, allowing them to legally offer services.
The bookie offers a wide selection of sports, markets and other exciting features to truly salivate for. In this article, we take an in-depth review of this bookie, analysing the services. With the increasing use of mobile devices, the review will also pay attention to the use from a mobile perspective. If you don’t have a Sportingbet account you can visit the registration page to sign up.
One thing that stands out from the offering of Sportingbet is the simplistic, yet well thought out design of their platform. Users can easily navigate and access various menus and sports features through clearly visible icons and buttons. Access using a mobile device requires one to make use of a browser, and additionally, one can make use of the application that offers a potentially speedy pace of placing bets.
From the top of the homepage, one can easily access the login and register functions, together with live games, live betting and other sports options that may be accessed by scrolling horizontally on this section. The midsection of the home page is occupied by the various sports options one can decide to take.
Scrolling down to the lower end of the page, one can easily access an A-Z menu of the Sportingbet menu options – these include sports choices, promotions, and other valuable features. This is a generally go-to button when one wishes to quickly check and access menu options. Other options such as live betting, bet slips, previous bets are also available from this bottom section of the screen.
Sports on offer
When it comes to sports options, Sportingbet truly impresses by giving a very huge selection of sports and even other events to select from. On offer are the major sports selections across the world, including soccer, netball, volleyball, rugby, and basketball. These options get to over 30, which ranks Sportingbet quite highly among the various South Africa bookies.
With regards to the sports league coverage, one can truly say they are equally given a very good choice, with Sportingbet being able to cover most common leagues including the South African Premier League, EPF, La Liga and other for soccer events.
In connection with the types of markets on offer, Sportingbet similarly goes very wide and far to bring a good and wide selection of market odds that offer great value to the user. Examples that come into mind include player selections, money line, totals, and other bets when it comes to basketball – one would not easily find these markets with other South African bookies.
In the soccer context, Sportingbet also has an impressive selection of market options to select from especially for the top leagues. These include fast-moving markets like 15 minutes of action, run of play markets which involve a prediction of what happens after a lead, or if there is any goal in the match. Of course, these markets are available on top of the common markets such as win, draw, handicaps, totals, and others.
In Play and Live Betting
Sportingbet is one of the few bookies that have a focus on live sporting action. We find live betting to be very valuable for players who prefer live data on the current match before bets are placed. This ensures they monitor and check for things such as the style of play etc, which allows for making a more informed decision.
Live stats are also available to enhance the whole decision making. Interestingly, Sportingbet also offers live streaming on some selected events – yes, you can go ahead and stream live match action through your mobile device on the go. However, one needs to be logged in, and have some funds in their account to be able to use this feature.
Signing up with Sportingbet
The process of registering with Sportingbet is very much simple and straight forward. From the top of the screen, one can select the “Register” options that lead to an online form with a few data input slots that should be completed by the user. The user should enter real data otherwise the FICA process will not be completed.
Various promotions have proven to be the only distinguishing feature between various bookmakers. Promotions offer punters an opportunity to maximize winnings, subject to conforming with the wagering and bonus requirements.
Sportingbet has several promotional offerings which include their flagship welcome bonus offer matched at 100% of the deposit amount up to a maximum of R2,000. This requires wagering of 3x of both deposit and bonus at minimum odds of 1.5 (1/2) or better – we find these terms to be among the best in South Africa, especially the lower odds of the wagering.
Other than the welcome bonuses, Sportingbet also has other promotions that are updated from time to time and include Cashback for a loss by 1 leg in a multi-selection bet, build a bet on accumulators, money back on losing tennis accumulators, the EPL predictor and others.
In a world of increasing competition between bookmakers, at times the only distinguishing part may be features that provide a competitive edge against others. Likable features from this bookie include
- The build a bet feature – This is applicable to the soccer matches and involves the selection of a multiple number of markets to produce one bet with considerably bigger odds. For example, this may include markets of a team to win, a certain player to score, the number of cards to be issued. Etc. We find this feature to be very exciting and offers players many significant chances of making a profit.
- Cashout feature – Cashout has fast become a popular feature with many big international bookmakers and has equally gained popularity amongst the few bookies who offer it locally. Sportingbet presents this feature that allows punters to settle their bets before the completion of a match or a leg of a multi-bet ticket. Before bets are placed, all markets with this feature are clearly indicated, and the feature is only available for these pre indicated matches.
Sportingbet Banking and Vouchers
Sportingbet offer punters several deposit methods to make it easy to top up your Sportingbet account. Sportingbet accept 1Voucher deposits, as well as several other deposit options, including;
- Promo Code
Sportingbet Live Roulette
Live roulette is one of the other exciting offerings from Sportingbet, making them one of the few bookies that are licensed to offer casino games in South Africa. This involves playing a number of roulette games that are broadcast from a number of casinos across the world.
To access live roulette from both casinos, one has to click the “live games” tab whilst on the home page of each. The players are then led to the live games section where they can select their favourite roulette game from a choice of 5 games. The choices of roulette available include:
- Dragonara Roulette – This is a European variant of the game of roulette and is based on a live stream from the land-based Dragonara Casino in Malta. The rules are the same as any European variant of roulette, with the wheel numbered from 0 to 36. Coming to stakes, players can place wagers between R5 and R20, 000, and they stand a chance of winning huge sums of money should they make correct predictions of the landing position of the ball. Chips are in denominations of 1, 5, 25, 100, 500 and 1000, but only denominations less than the account balance would be available to the punter.
- Resorts Atlantic City Roulette– This is an American variant of Roulette, and therefore has wheel numbers 0 to 36 Plus a double 0. What it means is that as with any other American variant of roulette, the house advantage is higher. The player can place various stakes ranging between R15 to R20,000 depending on the type of bets selected – this a change from the R10 minimum bet that was previously required. The table below illustrates the pay-out odds and maximum allowable bets. A racetrack is also available to place neighbouring bets only as no special bets are available.
- Grand Casino Roulette Grand Casino Roulette is also another European variant with numbers 0 to 36. The game offers similar stake options (R5-R20, 000) with other European style casinos found on Sportingbet/World Sports betting sites. A racetrack is available for making quick special bets.
- Casino Malta Roulette. Again, this is a European roulette variation, and therefore has similar odds and rules to other similar variants. The only major difference here is that the minimum stake is R10, whilst the maximum stake is R20, 000 depending on the type of bet selected. This version of roulette also seeks to make life easier by providing a racetrack that can be utilised to quickly place special bets
- Hippodrome Casino – This is another European variant with a single zero and is based on a live match from the Hippodrome Casino in London. Varying stakes from R5 to a maximum of R20, 000 can be placed depending on the bet chosen. The winning odds are similar to other single zero casinos. We also like that there is a racetrack to place special bets, and provision to save bets which speeds up the betting process during these live casinos.
Another exciting feature from Sportingbet is the inclusion of Betgames within their scope of games on offer. Betgames are some exciting set of games that offer massive winning potential, yet they are very simple and easy to comprehend. The available options of Betgames include War of Bets, Bet on Poker, Baccarat, Wheel, Lucky5, Lucky 6 and Lucky 7, the latter ally being based on lottery games.
Start Betting with Sportingbet
Sportingbet is no doubt one of the leading bookies in the South African industry, with a massive selection of sporting action across various sporting disciplines that are popular world over. Sportingbet also has a live betting centred approach, with a lot of in-play matches and streaming availability for selected matches.
There are some additional exciting features such as build a bet and cash out facilities that compete with popular global bookies. There are also several promotions on offer, including the flagship welcome bonus offering of R2,000 at 100% of the deposit amount which may be utilised to realise the maximum value from this bookie.
That’s not all, for lovers of variety, this bookie also goes on to provide live roulette games and Betgames. It is highly recommended to open an account with Sportingbet, as they offer possibly the best overall betting experience in South Africa.